ACP Coffee Room
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gadgets, what do you use?

+2
KAZ59
pottydotty
6 posters

Go down

gadgets, what do you use? Empty gadgets, what do you use?

Post  pottydotty Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:59 am

I was just wondering who had any gadgets etc which they use to help deal with there arthritis kids can be included Very Happy
pottydotty
pottydotty
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

gadgets, what do you use? Empty Re: gadgets, what do you use?

Post  KAZ59 Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:09 am

Hi Pottydotty

I'm glad to hear that because I'll be honest we do ask our girls to help out a lot more nowadays. I do feel really bad though. I always feel that a childs childhood should not be doing or helping out with housework ect, but we do give them money for helping out around the house. And they do up the shops for us. Also if I dont feel well enough to go and collect the prescriptions we have an arrangement with the chemist that Hayley can collect, that is a great help for me.

How about you, what/who do you use.

karen xx Smile
KAZ59
KAZ59
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  pottydotty Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:14 am

kids lol, like you they get paid pocket money and mine say they like to help, and anything i can use to knock things from the shelves etc. if im in a super market then a nice chap to reach the stuff on the high shelves. always makes shopping better. Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing i am single and short hahaha
pottydotty
pottydotty
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  KAZ59 Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:25 am

I have already forgotten whether you said Potty or dotty,

But as you know I am not single but I am short, and yes, I always ask someone to help on the top shelves. Also a lot of the time I have one of the girls with me so they can go to the bottom shelf. They certainly do have their uses dont they.

karen xx Smile
KAZ59
KAZ59
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  tinkerbell Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:27 am

Hi all
I have a sock putter on, it is still a struggle with it...but it does help
The best thing I have and dint realise when we got it, our bed is a metal frame and didnt cost alot, but when I want to turn over I have the metal headboard to grab...its fancy metal work...so I can hold it and pull myself over
I have a nail...yes you heard right it is in a piece of wood upside down my hubby did it...so I can plonk carrots or potatoes on it when scarping...dont laugh it works
I have my walking sticks
and my handle on the side of the bath,,,and my little stool that I can stand on to get in the bath...well just about...I really do need a shower now
And my raised toilet seat....
tinkerbell
tinkerbell
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  pottydotty Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:32 am

i was looking for something to stick the spuds and veg on whilst i peeled/ chopped them, you have a great idea there tinks. mind if i pinch it and give it a go., i have a metal framed bed also. the headboards are great for grabbing and pulling your self up on. i am concidering whether to get a grabber stick for when i drop stuff on the floor. i have my crutches and a stick for those bad days
pottydotty
pottydotty
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  tinkerbell Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:36 am

Hi PD I have a grabber stick..but to be honest I can never find it when I need it..but they are good...it was a cheap one I have never tried the more expensive ones....suppose if they do the job..
tinkerbell
tinkerbell
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  pottydotty Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:39 am

i will stick with the cheep and cheerful , they do the job then thats good enough for me.
pottydotty
pottydotty
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  KAZ59 Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:55 am

First off, thanks Barbara, PD is just right. Was wondering what to call you know who...... Smile

We do have a sock thing, it's called the girls. They are quite good at it now. But we dont have anything to grab onto like a headboard on the bed. We just struggle, but we do need a new bed.

And I forgot we do have some hand grips by the bath. But we need a shower really. We do have a shower but it is one of those in the bath, which somewhat defeats the object.

karen xx Smile
KAZ59
KAZ59
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  Cstars Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:53 am

I have the jar opener.
The can opener broke within weeks.

Large fluffy towelling robe to get dry after shower. I just put it on walk round for 10 mins and I'm dry.

Food processor does allsorts that I cant do. slice, chop, grate, mix etc.

OT gave me a regular knife that her father had made to a right angle shape to help with spreading on bad days.

A bottle opener I found useless is really good for the knobs in the shower.

The door jarm for bottles
Cstars
Cstars
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  pottydotty Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:50 am

i was looking at a little food processor the other day and wondered if they were any good,

i had a batery tin opener but mine also broke, im looking at getting a mains one from a**s when i can afford it as i have to keep asking the kids to open them for me.

now if i didnt have the kids id never manage potatoes.
pottydotty
pottydotty
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  phoebe 63 Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:23 am

I have a grabby stick I can never find Tink!

I use a button kettle. You press a button and hot water comes out. Got all the handles and steps all over the house. A shower is the best thing because I could not use a bath.

OH and kids put my socks on and take them off too!

E x
phoebe 63
phoebe 63
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  chris7 Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:34 am

Hi guys

Still finding my way round and have only just seen this. Oh you poor loves with the poorly hands must be so hard some days just to make a brew,open a jar or peel a spud as you say. I do have some of those jar opener sort of wrench things which even I find useful though I shouldn't really need.

Did you all have to buy these gadgets or can we get them from the hossie somehow? I have looked at those grabber sticks but so expensive, the post sometimes stays on my mat until I am feeling able to bend and pick it up, tis usually bills anyway. Barbara, Karen anyone can you pm me any details/prices of the sock putter on, I do so need one of them now and have never seen them anywhere? Cutting toe nails is a herculean task too, anyone got any tips, I am sadly lacking in the child or OH department.

Don't feel bad girls I am sure the kids are glad to help when they can, even if they do so with a shrug and a grump sometimes. I remember with some fondness the weekends lists of tasks from mum and dad with attached fees of a penny or two to encourage us. Tis never too early or late to learn life's lessons that sadly there will always be washing up to do.

Good thread guys
alice xx

chris7
chris7
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  tinkerbell Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi Chris
My grabber was just a couple of pounds from home and Barga**not sure if you will have one near you...it does the job ..the only drawback is picking weighty things up with it..ie wet towels it does pick them up but it tend to bend...but like I say just a couple of pounds
The sock putter oner was off a website...I have had it a while..you slip the thingy in the sock and its has long handles to pull the sock on...its not ideal but it helps
I will try and find the website for you, but if I was you ask at your GPs to see an OT and see what they can help you with...I bought mine before I knew about OTs
Hope this helps xxx
tinkerbell
tinkerbell
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  phoebe 63 Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:48 pm

I got given most things. OT did all the steps and rails and seat raisers and I got the grabby stick and crutches after my THR plus another stick you use to get your undies and socks on but is not easy to use.

I bought the kettle as a boiling kettle is not safe to pick up.

Does anyone use a teasmaid? I often have so many things to carry upstairs that I cannot manage a tea even though I am gasping. A teasmaid upstairs could solve that problem as long as my Son leaves the thing alone! Any good or bad points about them!

E x
phoebe 63
phoebe 63
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  KAZ59 Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Hi there

I took on board some of the suggestions when I was on ac. Like all my washing I through down stairs and get one of the girls to pick it up for me. If I have various things to take up stairs I just use a carrier bag to put them all in. If it is really heavy I wait for someone to take it up for me. It's like the cleaning ironed stuff, to eavy for me so I get one of the others to take it upstairs. But, I still cant get the girls to pick their bits up of the floor, dont know whether they will learn.

karen xx Smile
KAZ59
KAZ59
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  phoebe 63 Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:06 pm

same for me Kaz but even with a carrier back I have no arm space for a much needed cuppa.

E x
phoebe 63
phoebe 63
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  KAZ59 Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi E,

Umm, yes thats one we'll have to think about.

karen xx Smile
KAZ59
KAZ59
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  phoebe 63 Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:52 am

sorry should say carrier bag!

E )
phoebe 63
phoebe 63
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  Cstars Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:52 am

I was thinking about getting a baby sling for when the baby arrives.
So that my hands are free and wont lock if I am in the same position for any length of time.
Has anyone ever used one?
x
Cstars
Cstars
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  tinkerbell Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:02 am

Hi Christine
What a brilliant idea, I had know trouble looking after my two granddaughters, but with the new one on the way I was wondering how I would hold her for any amount of time..so thankyou for that....whoevers comes first we must give it a try and let the other know how they got on. Very Happy Very Happy
Hope you are keeping wellish I have been worried xx
tinkerbell
tinkerbell
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  phoebe 63 Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:43 pm

I didn't have one when my daughter was born. I could barely pick her up or hold her unless sitting down. They have push together clips that you may find difficult to use(I had one for my older children pre-arther). I had as few gadgets as possible.
My pushchair was a great choice, I tested loads out in the shop and this one felt ideal as it was so light and easy to use.

E x

phoebe 63
phoebe 63
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  KAZ59 Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:42 pm

Hi there

There is a sling type thing out now, I quite often see mums walking round town with them. Maybe they would suit you two better. No clips, I dont think anyway.

karen xx Smile
KAZ59
KAZ59
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  Cstars Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:31 am

It was babasling I had looked at.

Will have to have something though as major flare is heading my way!
Cstars
Cstars
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum